GrowingGreat‘s mission is to inspire children and adults to adopt healthy eating habits through innovative classroom nutrition lessons, school gardens and community events. The organization has been an LASVP investee since 2010.
1. 65% of the schools GrowingGreat serves are Title 1 Schools, which means that at least 40% of the school’s students come from low-income families.
2. Studies show that every dollar spent on nutrition education saves $4-$8 in health care costs.
3. When kids grow their vegetables, they eat their vegetables. A 2011 study found that students who participated in garden-based learning significantly increased their preference for vegetables.
4. To help accommodate schools that don’t have the extra space for a traditional garden, GrowingGreat partnered with Wooly Pockets to create curriculum that is adjusted to a vertical hanging wall garden.
5. GrowingGreat reaches out to educate parents as well as children. After each lesson, students receive a parent education handout to take home and share with their family that contains a lesson outline, enrichment activities, recipes and coupons.
Click here to find out the different ways you can help GrowingGreat!